What is Live Speech Mapping?
Living with hearing loss can be a challenging experience, impacting daily communication, social interaction, and overall quality of life. Fortunately, technological advancements in the hearing industry have enabled individuals with hearing loss to improve their hearing experience significantly.
One such advancement is Live Speech Mapping, a real-time measurement technique that provides immediate visual feedback for hearing aid fittings. In this blog, we will discuss what Live Speech Mapping is, the benefits, and how it works.
What is Live Speech Mapping?
Live Speech Mapping (LSM) is a method used by hearing healthcare professionals to evaluate the effectiveness of hearing aid fittings. It involves the use of a probe microphone, which is inserted into the ear canal, along with a small speaker positioned close to the patient’s mouth.
The speaker plays recorded speech, while the probe microphone measures the sound output of the hearing aids in real-time. The information is then displayed on a computer screen, enabling the hearing healthcare professional to make necessary adjustments to the hearing aids.
Benefits of Live Speech Mapping
There are several benefits of Live Speech Mapping that make it a valuable tool for hearing healthcare professionals and patients. Some of these benefits include:
- Real-time feedback: Live Speech Mapping provides immediate visual feedback, allowing the hearing healthcare professional to make accurate and precise adjustments to the hearing aids. This ensures that the patient receives optimal hearing aid settings, resulting in improved hearing ability.
- Personalized fitting: With Live Speech Mapping, the hearing healthcare professional can personalize the hearing aid fitting according to the patient’s specific hearing needs. This customization results in a more comfortable and effective hearing experience.
- Improved patient satisfaction: Live Speech Mapping ensures that the patient’s hearing aids are functioning correctly, providing them with a more satisfactory hearing experience. Patients who receive a successful hearing aid fitting are more likely to continue wearing their devices and have better hearing outcomes.
How does Live Speech Mapping work?
Live Speech Mapping works by measuring the sound output of the hearing aids while the patient is listening to recorded speech. The process involves the following steps:
- The hearing healthcare professional inserts a probe microphone into the patient’s ear canal.
- A small speaker is placed close to the patient’s mouth.
- Recorded speech is played through the speaker, while the probe microphone measures the sound output of the hearing aids.
- The information is displayed on a computer screen, allowing the hearing healthcare professional to adjust the hearing aids’ settings.
- The hearing healthcare professional fine-tunes the hearing aids until the speech sounds clear and comfortable to the patient.
Live Speech Mapping is a valuable tool for hearing healthcare professionals to evaluate and adjust hearing aid fittings in real-time. It provides immediate visual feedback, allowing for personalized and accurate hearing aid settings, resulting in improved hearing outcomes and patient satisfaction.
Trust the Experts at Hearing Services of Delaware
If you are experiencing hearing loss, consider consulting with your local hearing healthcare professionals. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of certified hearing care professionals at Hearing Services of Delaware.